Scottish Provident is a trading name of Royal London Mutual Insurance Society. As a customer of Royal London we use your information in a number of ways. This is a notice which we are required to give you under the data protection laws. It tells you how Royal London will use your personal information.
We may update this notice from time to time and we will alert you to the important updates. It is not meant to be a legal contract between you and Royal London and this does not affect your rights under data protection laws.
In this notice we have included the uses that we feel would be most important to you. There is further information in our full privacy notice on our website at royallondon.com/protectionprivacy.
How do you use my information?
We use your information, which may be provided by you, through your adviser or from your medical professional, in order to set up and service your plan and meet our legal obligations, such as when:
- Setting up and administering your plan.
- Completing any requests or managing any queries or claims you make.
- Verifying your identity and preventing fraud. This is usually where we have a legal obligation.
- Fulfilling any other legal or regulatory obligations.
We also use your information for activities other than plan administration or to comply with legal obligations.
Where we do this we need to have a ‘legitimate interest’. Activities are assessed and your rights and freedoms are taken into account to ensure that nothing we do is too intrusive or beyond your reasonable expectations. We use legitimate interests for:
- Researching our customers’ opinions and exploring new ways to meet their needs – we use personal information to help us understand that our products, services and propositions suit our customers’ needs and meet their expectations, as well as improving your customer experience.
- Assessing and developing our products, systems, prices and brand – we generally combine your information with other customers’ in order to check if our products are priced fairly, are suitable for our customers and to check if our communications are easy to understand.
- Sending you marketing information – we don’t currently send you marketing information about our products. However, we are looking to start communicating with you more frequently about your plan and also finances in general.
- Monitoring the use of our websites. You can see our cookies policy at royallondon.com/cookies.
If we lose touch we will use a trusted 3rd party to find you and reunite you with your plan, if we can.
We may also monitor and record phone calls for training and quality purposes. This means we have an accurate record of what you tell us to do.
If you want further information about our use of your information for our legitimate interests, you can contact us using the details below. You also have the right to object to any processing done under legitimate interests, which means we may stop using your information in some circumstances.
Who sees and uses my personal information?
Employees of Royal London who need to see or work on our plans are given access to your personal information in order to support you. For example, our call centre staff will access your plan details if you call us.
In addition to our own staff we share your information with other companies so that we can administer your plan and provide our services to you. We only use trusted 3rd parties, such as:
- Service providers, for example Capita, who administer our Scottish Provident branded plans. If you have unemployment benefit and premium payment benefit (unemployment), Trent will process any claims.
- ID authentication and fraud prevention agencies.
- Your authorised financial adviser(s).
- Medical agencies.
- Legal advisers and legal/regulatory bodies.
- Other insurance providers, including Surestone dac if you have unemployment benefit and premium payment benefit (unemployment).
- External market research agencies.
- Data Brokers, for example Experian, in order for us to best understand the products that would be most suited to you.
We make sure the use of your information is subject to appropriate protection and we will never sell your information.
We use global reassurance partners who have operations in the US, and our service provider Capita uses IT support in India. If you wish to find out more there is further information in our full notice on our website.
What are my rights?
Access – You have the right to find out what personal information we hold about you.
Rectification – If any of your details are incorrect or incomplete, you can ask us to correct them for you.
Erasure – You can also ask us to delete your personal information in some circumstances.
Object – If you have concerns about how we’re using your information, you have the right to object in some circumstances.
Direct marketing – You have a specific right to object to direct marketing, which we’ll always act upon.
Restriction – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information in some circumstances.
Data Portability – In some circumstances, you can ask us to send an electronic copy of the personal information you have provided to us, either to you or to another organisation. We also make automated underwriting decisions about you when you request a quote or make an application.
We use the information you provide as part of the application to decide what price to offer you. You have a right to ask for a person to reassess any automated underwriting decisions we make. More information can be found at royallondon.com/protectionprivacy.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights please contact us in writing using the contact details below.
How can I find our more?
Our full privacy notice contains more detail on how we use your information, how long we keep your information for our ‘lawful basis’ and your rights under data protection laws.
You’ll find the full notice at royallondon.com/privacynotice or you can call 0800 085 8352 for a recorded version or if you want this in another format.
How to contact our Data Protection Officier (DPO)
Postal address: Royal London House, Alderley Road, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 1PF